Gender roles, gender stereotyping and...

Discussion in 'The Emo Bucket' started by KittensKill, Jan 12, 2012.

Gender roles, gender stereotyping and...

Discussion in 'The Emo Bucket' started by KittensKill, Jan 12, 2012.

1. KittensKill

KittensKill Destroying Angels

Does it really matter what lays between your legs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Masculine and femanine, what are they really about?

Why are so many people trapped by out-dated concepts?
  2. boondocksaint

boondocksaint New Member

I wouldn't say they're trapped by gender roles

There's nothing wrong for women wanting to be house wives and mothers

Some people take this gender role topic wayy to extreme,
    to me it's just don't flip out when a guy or girl acts like how they want to act
  3. KittensKill

but they are.
    they have set ideas about what a man should be and what a woman should be.

interesting
    yet many change their minds later
    the majority of married university graduates are women (in the last 4-5 years)
    House wives doent want to be chained to the sink anymore. They want an education, they want their husbands to stay at home and cook and clean, while they go out and ern far more than their husbands ever could.

People need to be taught that what you have between your legs should not dictate your future.
    Its what you have between your ears that matters.
  4. boondocksaint

boondocksaint New Member

shit i say both husband and wife go out and earn an education and a good job and divide home chores
  5. Asshat

Asshat POWERVIOLENT

This is ironic - I just presented a slide show to the class about male and female stereotypes, along with teen sexuality.

I feel like I am all the time.

Here's a copypasta from my slide show
    The fact is, people are going to be mean, and they'll make you unhappy - it has nothing to do with their private parts, it just means they're nasty people.
  6. boondocksaint

boondocksaint New Member

but they do it to themselves, a stereotype is an attribute that is common among a group, that outside people think everyone in that group has that trait

all the stereotypes you listed are there because alot of men and women act that way, no one is forcing them to, they want to.
  7. KittensKill

o rly?
    How would people treat you if you decided you wanted to be a female impersonator?
    What would your friends say if you decided that you wanted to be a hair stylist, or a make up artist?
    What would people think if you designed womens shoes or hand bags?

But most people aren't brought up to think like that.
    Most are taught that women stay at home, and men go to work, like reality is some fantasy version of the 1950's

and now...

http://www.unc.edu/~dcderosa/STUDENTPAPERS/childrenbattles/toysrusdenise.htm
  8. Fluffy the Pear

Fluffy the Pear 10h47m49.6s, +12°34'54"

Can you imagine how much of a strategic advantage the military would have if they exploited the unique physical attributes of each main gender?

The Navy SEALs take on men only, but they prefer men with short physical stature and a social background that enforces the stereotype of a warrior male. It's just naturally more advantegous for their line of work. I'd love to see the unique things women could do if ever the Navy SEALs allowed them into a unit of their own.

It's not all 1950's, you know. And not all suggestions for gender roles are bad. The military is a bit of a stiff example, but there's shit out there that measures of gender neutral attitude would actually be detrimental and counterproductive to.
  9. boondocksaint

boondocksaint New Member

See to me that article is a bunch of bullshit.
    First off, companies don't give a **** about gender roles, they care about what make sales and making profit.
    Their stores are designed like that because that's what kids want.
    You can shake a GI Joe or a fake tool belt in front of a little girl all you want but I bet 9/10 they'd rather have a barbie.
    There's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with fitting in the gender role if they want to.
    That being said, I support this issue in the way that a parent shouldn't judge or try to change their kid if the daughter does want a GI Joe, or if the boy wants a barbie

Hmm interesting

I wouldn't say Navy Seals per say, but more CIA. A good looking women can exploit so many different situations. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the CIA had more female than male agents.
  10. Fluffy the Pear

Exactly. It's all dependent upon how society uses the current accepted roles of men and women; in some eyes - like my own - usage of every advantage possible provides a better outcome for functionality, regardless of how politically incorrect it might be to say that, in general, men and women have different abilities and experiences, as do people of different races and ethnic backgrounds.

I know for certain that the FBI and some police forces already wield the talents of their people in these ways. A family experiencing a crisis is more open to a female agent or officer who exhibits even basic gender stereotypes. The assumption automatically becomes, "Well, that agent is a woman; I can trust her more easily because she probably has kids or at least has more intuition/sensitivity to my plight than a man."

A black male can establish a different relationship with a black male agent than he would a white male agent. And a woman in certain situations may prefer the white male agent as an established "protector" if he comes off as subconsciously dominant. It wouldn't be the gender role in command in this case, but rather the situation itself that provokes "roles".

I certainly agree that there are abuses of gender role, especially in situations where it is proven that gender makes no difference to the outcome. However, in most cases, gender will have an impact regardless of what you do (or don't do) to balance the scales.

It is far more complicated a topic than simply "out of date" assumptions. Such roles touch upon our basest of instincts; it is the human way to assume bias and irregularity.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  11. KittensKill

true, to a point

no. If you'd read the article, you'd see, children have been programed to want certain toys.

except that gender roles are artificial.

but stores should be set up differently.
    GI Joe should be next to barbie. Both are dolls of the same sort.
    And whats wrong with there being a GI Jane barbie? Or a GI Joe dress uniform doll?
  12. Tom

Tom Local Velociraver

Mackin' all the hoes & stackin' all the dough
    **** gender roles. Seriously, if I had a kid, they could play with whatever toys they want. Why should I care if my son likes Barbie or if my daughter is a tomboy? If it makes them happy, then it's fine.
  13. Wolf Eyes

Wolf Eyes Vulpix!!

It always confused me as a child, I wanted to have certain toys and that was outside the norm for my gender. Might sound small, but it's quite weird thing to do when you have to figure out how you're SUPPOSED to behave.
    And quite alienating when you're young and don't fit in. I had literally no friends because no one wanted to hang out with someone who couldn't relate to them.

I try to find a place between the sexes now, and I think I do pretty well. No one who really knows me thinks I'm a guy or girl, I'm just myself.
  14. ShatteredHeart

ShatteredHeart Non-alcoholic beverage

I know that feel. Autism does that too.

The happier people I know are well balanced in the "Gender Roles" thing. Men with "feminine" interests, women with "masculine" interests, etc. I myself enjoy art, music, sewing, and adorable things.
  15. L

L my own special creation

Very biased. I notice they left out Mulan...
    And for example you could also say that Ariel acted against her father's will and against all the expectations towards her to pursue her dream and freely be with the man she (and not her family) chose to be.

They feel more safe this way?
    I don't know, I guess I'm not the one to answer questions like that. Ask the girls who only want to date a guy who's taller than them and all that.
  16. Lucifirius

Lucifirius Member

Society's gender roles are defined by the public opinion and how our parents feel, which they got from their parents, from their parents, etc. The reason so many things are 'boy's only' or 'girls' only' is because that's how we were raised by parents who were raised the same way their parents were raised. It all goes back to long before our time.

The reason people think pink is a 'girl color' is because that's how they were raised to think. Barbies are for girls, G.I. Joe for boys. The only thing we can really do individually is raise OUR kids to not follow these gender roles.
  17. KittensKill

I've noticed this myself. Men who spend all their time trying to be "manly" are just angry, while women who spend all their time being 'femanine' are often depressed.
    Balance is the key to happiness.

Indeed.
    Until the 1940's, pink was a boys colour, blue was for girls.
    Pink and red are angry, agressive, violent colours, while blue is calming, its the colour that represents the virgin mary, its the colour of the sky, and what is reflected by water.
  18. Asshat

Asshat POWERVIOLENT

When I was about four, I used to play with dump trucks in the sand box with the boys in Junior Kindergarten. Then one of the girls made fun of me, because I was doing boy things... I didn't really think about it until then, and I begged my parents for a Barbie doll. True story.

This is interesting;
    When cleaning out my grandpa's basement after he passed away, I found my Dad's old baby doll from the 1960s... I was really surprised, my grandma was a boss for buying that.
  19. boondocksaint

boondocksaint New Member

Actually the most rare and collectible GI Joe figure is a women, a nurse to be exact, thank you history channel
  20. Fluffy the Pear

Should have issued a post awhile back warning of a happy-day storm.

"Rejection of the past", my ass. The trashing of those dolls is a type of experimentation and exploration of violence, and it is a trait found in all children at one point or another. It has nothing to do with gender roles; I wonder if the good doctor was subjected to her own research biases.

There was a school where they placed children in rooms according to that belief that colors could be used to balance behavior. The most common placement was with the hyperactive kids, who would be placed in blue rooms. The children now associate the color blue with punishment, disobedience and wrongdoing.

I'm afraid you cannot simply assign one general cover for a color and call it constant, because the color does not dictate the reaction; it's the use of the color that dictates it. You can impose any feeling or reaction to colors in anyone if you expose them to it long enough, but the color itself is null, and fixed color "symbolism" is a pseudoscience.

In China, color association is quite different from Western associations. Red here is not the same red you'll find in China. The same goes for other colors; the word "pink" in Chinese translates as "foreign color".